Commonly asked questions
What are the requirements for my dog for joining Share-A-Pet and performing pet-assisted therapy?
Your dog must be:
- people and dog friendly
- have basic obedience skills
- at least a year old
- you must have owned your dog for one year
- and your dog must be current with its rabies vaccination.
Can my child get community service hours?
Share-A-Pet gladly offers opportunities for students to get community service hours.
How old does the person need to be to do pet therapy?
Due to Share-A-Pet’s extensive training and testing process we do not have age restrictions for participating. Members must show that they are capable of passing the five step training process to qualify.
What does my Therapy Obedience Protection (TOP) Insurance cover?
Our TOP Insurance covers our members up to $1,000,000 for liability issues occurring during the performance of appropriate and approved pet therapy.
Do I have to join Share-A-Pet to take the Therapy Obedience Professional (TOP) test and see if I qualify?
Yes. The TOP test is part of the Pet Program Membership five step program which includes practice sessions, where offered, and follow up recommendations for passing the test.
Is there a refund if my dog doesn’t pass the test?
All fees are non-refundable. In the event that an individual decides not to join or complete the orientation process or decides to resign from being a volunteer at anytime, these fees will be considered a tax-deductible donation to Share-A-Pet Organization, Inc. and go towards supporting the Share-A-Pet Mission.
What all can I do to help the organization?
- commit to one-year of Pet-Assisted Therapy service at one or more facilities. This consists of a minimum of 44 pet assisted therapy hours a year.
- follow the Share-A-Pet Pet-Assisted Therapy Guidelines.
- turn in your services hours each month. (forms are provided)
- ongoing education for you and your dog to be the best at what you do.
- commit to further the success of the organization by participating in one or more of the following activities:
- recruit new volunteers
- recruit Perks Partners
- make donations
- submit your stories of pet-assisted therapy
- participate in fundraisers
- attend events
- recruit corporate and individual sponsors