Commonly asked questions
Your dog must be:
- people and dog friendly
- have basic obedience skills
- at least a year old
- you must have owned your dog for one year
- and your dog must be current with its rabies vaccination.
Our TOP Insurance covers our members up to $1,000,000 for liability issues occurring during the performance of appropriate and approved pet therapy.
Do I have to join Share-A-Pet to take the Therapy Obedience Professional (TOP) test and see if I qualify?
Yes. The TOP test is part of the Pet Program Membership five step program which includes practice sessions, where offered, and follow up recommendations for passing the test.
Is there a refund if my dog doesn’t pass the test?
All fees are non-refundable. In the event that an individual decides not to join or complete the orientation process or decides to resign from being a volunteer at anytime, these fees will be considered a tax-deductible donation to Share-A-Pet Organization, Inc. and go towards supporting the Share-A-Pet Mission.
What all can I do to help the organization?
- commit to one-year of Pet-Assisted Therapy service at one or more facilities. This consists of a minimum of 44 pet assisted therapy hours a year.
- follow the Share-A-Pet Pet-Assisted Therapy Guidelines.
- turn in your services hours each month. (forms are provided)
- ongoing education for you and your dog to be the best at what you do.
- commit to further the success of the organization by participating in one or more of the following activities:
- recruit new volunteers
- recruit Perks Partners
- make donations
- submit your stories of pet-assisted therapy
- participate in fundraisers
- attend events
- recruit corporate and individual sponsors