Pet Therapy Program
The Share-A-Pet Pet Therapy Program is one of the three pillars of the organization. This program began in December of 2003 and continues to grow and reach thousands of people each week in need.
Our Pet Therapy Program consists of individuals with loving and obedient dogs, who have gone through the certification process to become certified and insured as a therapy team to volunteer in a facility near them on a weekly basis.
Pet Program Details
Certified Pet-Program members are able to provide Pet-Assisted Therapy in a variety of facility types, such as nursing homes, hospitals, care centers and children’s centers, as well as participate in our Pawsitive Reading Program. To become a Share-A-Pet Pet Program Member:
|Your dog must be:
- people and dog friendly
- have basic obedience skills
- at least a year old
- you must have owned your dog for one year
- and your dog must be current with its rabies vaccination.
|You must be willing to:
- commit to one-year of Pet-Assisted Therapy service at one or more facilities. This consists of a minimum of 44 pet assisted therapy hours a year.
- follow the Share-A-Pet Pet-Assisted Therapy Guidelines.
- turn in your services hours each month. (forms are provided)
- ongoing education for you and your dog to be the best at what you do.
- commit to further the success of the organization by participating in one or more of the following activities:
- recruiting new volunteers
- recruiting Perks Partners
- making donations
- submitting your stories of pet-assisted therapy
- participating in fundraisers
- attending events
- recruiting corporate and individual sponsors